Nominees Announced for the 2020 Game Awards

In the Esports industry, The Game Awards is a major authority and influence. The Game Awards first went live in 2014 after the show creator, George Keighley, dropped out of further involvement in Spike’s Video Game Awards. That same year, Spike TV also announced that they would be dropping the award show completely.

The yearly awards will be handed out to the gaming industry on the 10th of December. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and safety protocols, this year’s edition will be held virtually. Three soundstages – Los Angeles, Tokyo and London – will be used with each location having minimal attendees. The award show will be streamed across 45 different platforms as it has always been.

A jury panel with members from over 95 media outlets globally was responsible for compiling the nominee list. The jury will also play a crucial role in determining the winners as they have 90 percent say, while public votes will account for the remaining 10 percent. The votes from the public are already ongoing at the official website of The Game Awards and via several media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter.

The Nominees

All of the exciting games you can think of, and more, made the cut. The awards also cover a wide variety of categories like “Best Esports Team,” “Best Ongoing Category,” “Game of the Year,” etc.

The nominees for the awards (in no particular order) are:

Game of the Year

  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons – Nintendo
  • Hades – Supergiant Games
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake – Square Enix
  • The Last of Us Part II – Naughty Dog/Sony Interactive Entertainment
  • Doom Eternal – id Software/Bethesda Softworks
  • Ghost of Tsushima – Sucker Punch Productions/Sony Interactive Entertainment

Best Esports Game

  • Valorant – Riot Games
  • Counter-Strike: Global Offensive – Valve
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare – Infinity Ward/Raven Software/Activision
  • League of Legends – Riot Games
  • Fortnite – Epic Games

Best Score and Music

  • Doom Eternal – Mick Gordon
  • Hades – Darren Korb
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps – Gareth Coker
  • The Last of Us Part II – Gustavo Santaolalla and Mac Quayle
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake – Nobuo Uematsu, Masashi Hamauzu, and Mitsuto Suzuki

Games for Impact

  • Spiritfarer – Thunder Lotus Games
  • Through the Darkness of Times – Paintbucket Games/HandyGames
  • Tell Me Why – Dontnod Entertainment/Xbox Game Studios
  • If Found… – Dreamfeel/Annapurna Interactive
  • Kentucky Route Zero – Cardboard Computer/Annapurna Interactive

Best Debut Game

  • Mortal Shell – Cold Symmetry/Playstack
  • Phasmophobia – Kinetic Games
  • Roki – Polygon Treehouse/United Label
  • Carrion – Phobia Game Studio/Devolver Digital
  • Raji: An Ancient Epic – Nodding Heads Games/

Best Esports Team

  • Damwon Gaming
  • G2 Esports
  • Team Secret
  • San Francisco Shock
  • Dallas Empire

Best Mobile Game

  • Among Us – InnerSloth
  • Pokemon Cafe Mix – Genius Sonority/The Pokemon Company
  • Genshin Impact – miHoYo
  • Call of Duty: Mobile – TiMi Studios/Activision
  • Legends of Runeterra – Riot Games

Best Game Direction

  • Final Fantasy VII Remake – Square Enix
  • Hades – Supergiant Games
  • The Last of Us Part II – Naughty Dog/Sony Interactive Entertainment
  • Half-life: Alyx – Valve
  • Ghost of Tsushima – Sucker Punch Productions/Sony Interactive Entertainment

Most Anticipated Game

  • Resident Evil Village – Capcom
  • Breath of the Wild sequel – Nintendo
  • God of War sequel – SIE Santa Monica Studio/Sony Interactive Entertainment
  • Horizon Forbidden West – Guerilla Games/Sony Interactive Entertainment
  • Halo Infinite – 343 Industries/Xbox Games Studios
  • Elden Ring – FromSoftware/Bandai Namco Entertainment

Best Multiplayer Game

  • Valorant – Riot Games
  • Fall Guys – Mediatonic/Devolver Digital
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons – Nintendo
  • Call of Duty: Warzone – Infinity Ward/Raven Software/Activision
  • Among Us – InnerSloth

Best Esports Event

  • 2020 Overwatch League Grand Finals
  • BLAST Premier: Spring 2020 European Finals (Counter-Strike: Global Offensive)
  • 2020 League of Legends World Championship
  • Call of Duty League Championship 2020
  • IEM Katowice 2020 (Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

To get a full list of the categories and to cast your vote, head over to the Game Awards official website and keep your on SickOdds for betting opportunities.